Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Three poems for my yoga mistresses 
upon graduation from the 40 Day Revolution

A Sonnet:  My yoga mistress said to seek my path


My yoga mistress said to seek my path.
My path to happiness: what can it be?
I can’t see my path, since the aftermath.
3 years past, happiness could have found me.

We were on our path, driving towards the sun.
“The last of life for which the first was made,”
was next for us; but the plan was undone.
Instead, a naughty trick on us was played.

And so we hung upon the precipice
until he was gone and I was alone.
The path, you see, went with his exodus.
I was stunned, without a clue, on my own.

So, before our life together, I turned.
To find my own true path, I must relearn.

* * *

Mary Iyengar

Mary Iyengar, can I go for?
Mary Iyengar, you are a star.
Good, good, good, you all are good.
Is it true I really could?

Now, straighten the back and flip the hip
Reach, reach, reach; lengthen tip to tip;
left lower rib meets right outer thigh.
And I am thinking: oh my!

Mary Iyengar, can I go for?
Mary Iyengar, you are a star.
Left hand down and right hand rise—
Breathe, breathe, breathe; I am alive.

Thank you, thank you, Mary Iyengar.

* * *

Call and response

Call and response:
we engage together:
in a partnership.

She asks, we give.
Her voice our guide
to the path within.

Surrounded by heat
attuned to the body,
we find the beat

Teacher and pupil;
back and forth;
give and take.

We breathe in and out.
Conducted, we strive--
all senses alive.

Suddenly, slowly
power surges up
from toe tip to crown.

Downward, then up--
inward, then out--
our hearts soar.

We follow her lead
as the light dims,
there is brightness within.

Our sensei calls to us
every Thursday night
and we respond in kind.

1 comment:

  1. Seek. Stretch. Soar. A fine tribute to a wonderful yoga trinity.

    ReplyDelete