Saturday, January 14, 2017

Solitaire 2

“What do you want me to do?”
I heard these words from my mother
when, as a teenager,  I had driven her to distraction
which was, of course, my goal.

I always had an aha moment afterwards
as if I had broken her.

And I heard them again two years ago
as she lay dying and then I knew
she was broken again and I also knew
she had not been talking to me.

I’ve become aware of something else:
I am more like my mother than I thought.
I was my daddy’s little girl:
busy one hundred percent--

learning to shoot a bow and arrow,
learning to swim or fish,
learning to use a hammer and nail
and following him everywhere.

“What do you want me to do?”

My mother used to play solitaire
a lot of solitaire, peeling and stacking cards
by threes, in piles of thirteen.
I thought nothing of it.

She loved playing cards, especially bridge.
A hobby, a way to pass time.

And now, I pay solitaire
on my cell phone
between times like my mother.
Aha, the distraction, the escape.

And now I find myself saying,
“What do you want me to do?”

No comments:

Post a Comment