Tuesday, December 24, 2019

A walk in the park (Snakebite)

Every independent action takes effort;
even a walk in the park takes initiative --
seems harmless enough, even restorative --
leaves & trees & filtered sunlight,
the smell of earthiness, ever so slight;
snippets of bright water sparkle below
my gaited steps alight a crooked path
and then, the lightening strike 
of the piercing pain of the snake bite

Now the real courage begins.
close to life – it is visible ahead --
yet surrounded by bewildering acres of wilderness
one thought in repetition – take action
no need to restore, no need to plan,
no need to drift, no need to notice
climb the hill, call the number, stay alert.

I didn’t know the snake bite would 
rob me of all the courage 
I had stored in a precious little box 
in my soul.
I didn’t know the snakebite would 
break my heart into little droplets 
of dissolved whimpers.
I didn’t know the snake bite would 
fill the core of my being with poison.
I didn’t know the physical challenge 
would be nothing compared to
marshaling my life back into existence.

November 27, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment