Monday, February 4, 2013

All the beds

I have been thinking about all the beds I have slept in.    
June 18-Oct 3: 41 away + 50 “home” = 91


Rising from the depths
of the pillow,
ensconced in a cocoon of white—
where am I?
Where is this bed?

Is it banked on a wall of brick?
Is there light filling the air
from the windows of my loft?
Do I hear fire truck sirens?

Or, nestled quietly,
is light seeping through my shutters;
is a fan whispering quietly overhead;
are happy doggies barking somewhere outside?
Do I hear an ambulance whaling?

Am I home or away?

Is it hotel room dark?
If so, is it in Rochester,
Rome or Bellagio?
Perhaps Nashville or Asheville.

Is it a cabin? Or a house?
Is it a twin or a queen?
Am I awake or asleep?
Is it a dream? Should I rouse?

Or when I open my eyes,
will I see the little window
showing me a bit of roof
and Norway spruce?

I have been so many places
these last 3 months.
I might as well have been
a musician on tour.

How long have I been asleep?
Evidently, not long enough.

This cozy bed is home.
I am staying right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment