Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Dearest Mommie

I can remember you round , but when you left me, you were but a bird.
Like a nestling.

Yesterday I curled up on my bed,
just as you used to do
-- my head on the pillow, the pillow folded on my shoulder,
my knees tucked up and the coverlet I am resting on
snuggled around me -- like a nest.

I remember napping with you
except you were the only one
doing the napping.

I remember doing my homework with you and it was a joy,
you, the ever patient teacher.

I remember you boating with daddy, golfing with daddy, having coffee and donuts -- powdered sugar donuts -- with daddy; just going for a ride with daddy. Ever ready to go with.

And when we went shopping, you preferred to sit in the shoe department
while I went to try on whatever it was I thought I had to have
and then parade it persuasively in the shoe department
for you to see.

And I remember singing hymns on the way to the Lake
and how much you loved being with family
-- how very much you loved your family.

Dearest mommy
I lost you a long time ago
but I remember.

And while you are in heaven, mommy, give daddy a hug from me and kiss my sweetheart and then I expect you will be watching Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy and knowing all the answers OR playing bridge and eating Cheese Nibs and drinking scotch.

At least, I hope so.



3 comments:

  1. Dearest Miss Lydia - For thirty-odd years, I had a Southern Lady - my grandma. I knew how much I missed her when she was gone, but I didn't know how much I missed having a Southern Lady in my life until I met you. I once saw a little saying about growing up Southern being more than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, high school football, hunting and guitars - that it's being devoted to God, front porches, moon pies and each other. I am ever grateful that I had more than one opportunity to share a front porch with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and those were the days. The best time of my life living next to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the best. I find that it's the only time that I pine for.

      Delete